Thursday, October 6, 2016

Happy Fall!

Happy fall! It's finally fall although we are still experiencing 80 degree weather and have yet to see any leaves change. But it's going to happen! It may just not happen until later in October or early Novemebr. I love fall! And, I just got this little piece of art for my house and it makes me happy. 

This past weekend was General Conference weekend! In the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, General Conference happens twice a year, the first weekend in October and the first weekend in April, and it's a time when we get to hear talks from the Prophet and President of the Church, members of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, and other church leaders. There are a total of six sessions, all of which are about two hours each. I know it sounds like a long weekend, but it's one I really just love to stay at home with my family and listen to these inspired talks. After conference is over, all of the talks are put online and I love going back and listening to them throughout the year. And, since we're at home all weekend, the weekend just turns into a weekend of cooking and baking in between conference sessions. 

Somehow, early on in our marriage, Mr. Rochester and I started a tradition of baking scones during conference weekend. I remember, we found a scone recipe in a newspaper years ago and we thought we'd try it out (this was way before Pinterest). And ever since then, I've made the same scone recipe twice a year during conference time. This time I thought I'd try a different scone recipe (thanks to Pinterest) along with my traditional recipe. 

Oh, I think I mentioned how much Little Dorrit is loving "coloring" lately. Here are both the kids with their pencils and paper at the kitchen table while I'm working on making the scones. "Coloring" to Little D. really just means drawing or scribbling and she rarely wants actual crayons. When we do give them to her, she just ends up eating them so we try to stick with pencils. Trotwood also loves art and drawing and I love to see the kinds of things that end up on his papers. 

So, I tried out this copycat recipe of Starbucks Pumpkin Scones. I'm not going to write out all the steps because if you're interested, you can just follow the link and see how it's done. But here are a few pictures of my process. 
The recipe had you divide the dough into two separate balls and then roll it with a rolling pin into two separate squares. Doing it this way produced smaller scones than I'm used to making since my other recipe instructs you to just pat the dough into a ball. 
And here's the finished product! I think I've mentioned this before but Mr. Rochester isn't keen on icing so I almost didn't put icing on some of these. However, they actually aren't very sweet unless you put the icing on. And the only way I deviated from the recipe was here when I added more liquid to the regular glaze to make it a little runnier. 
After adding the regular glaze and the spiced glaze, the scones almost tasted like cookies! We all really enjoyed these and I think I'll make them again sometime! 

As I mentioned before, the normal recipe I use for scones, came from a newspaper clipping - I can see the words "USA Weekend December 17-19, 2004" on one part of the clipping but that's about it. Apparently, I didn't capture the author's name in the clipping but after just a little internet research, I found the source! It's by a woman named Pam Anderson and the recipes gives you several variations of scones - our favorite is the cherry almond version. 

So here's my ingredients:
One thing, I like about this recipe is you grate a stick of frozen butter into the dry ingredients and then work the butter into the dry mixture. I feel like doing this is what really helps give the scones a flaky texture. 
Here's the circle I mentioned earlier. Then you cut it into triangles. 

And voila! You've got some delicious, flaky scones. 
I will say, I've never actually tried the blueberry lemon or cranberry orange scones - we've done plain blueberry and plain cranberry and those have both been delicious so I have no doubt adding the citrus elements to the scones will also be tasty. We just have a {nameless} person in our household who doesn't really like citrusy baked goods...but I think I may have mentioned that in a previous blog post.

Simple Scones

(adapted from USA Weekend Cook Smart, December 2004)

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup plus 1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
8 Tbs. (1 stick) unsalted butter, frozen
1/2 cup raisins (or dried currants)
1/2 cup sour cream
1 large egg

Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and preheat oven to 400 degrees.

In a medium bowl, mix flour, 1/3 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Grate butter into flour mixture on the large holes of a box grater; use your fingers to work in butter (mixture should resemble coarse meal), then stir in raisins.

In a small bowl, whisk sour cream and egg until smooth.

Using a fork, stir sour cream mixture into flour mixture until large dough clumps form. Use your hands to press the dough against the bowl into a ball. (The dough will be sticky in places, and there may not seem to be enough liquid at first, but as you press, the dough will come together.)

Place on a lightly floured surface and pat into a 7- to 8-inch circle about 3/4-inch thick. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tsp. of sugar. Use a sharp knife to cut into 8 triangles; place on a cookie sheet (preferably lined with parchment paper), about 1 inch apart. Bake until golden, about 15 to 17 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes and serve warm or at room temperature.

Cranberry-Orange Scones 

Follow the recipe for Simple Scones, adding a generous teaspoon of finely grated orange rind (zest) to the dry ingredients and substituting dried cranberries for the raisins.

Lemon-Blueberry Scones 

Follow the recipe for Simple Scones, adding a generous teaspoon of finely grated lemon rind (zest) to the dry ingredients and substituting dried blueberries for the raisins.

Cherry-Almond Scones 

Follow the recipe for Simple Scones, adding 1/2 tsp. almond extract to the sour cream mixture and substituting dried cherries for the raisins.

Yield: 8 scones. 
Per scone: 317 calories, 5g protein, 41g carbohydrates, 15g fat (9g saturated), 1g fiber, 263mg sodium.

No comments: