Sunday, October 30, 2016

Fun Run

On Thursday, October 27th, Trotwood's school held a fun run to raise money for the school. Mr. Rochester and I decided to show up and cheer Trotwood on during the run. We didn't advertise the fun run to anyone to gain pledges -- I just signed Trotwood up and made a donation to the school. And I didn't know many other details about the run other than that there was a run and you could donate or pledge a certain amount of money for each lap run. I figured we'd watch Trotwood run around the track a few times and then he'd be finished. That's not exactly how it went. 

Each child actually had a grid with the numbers 1-35 stuck on their backs and every time they went halfway around the track, a teacher marked off a lap. The goal was for every child to do 35 laps. So, when the race began, Trotwood started running with the rest of the second graders and he.didn't.stop. After a lap or two, most kids petered out and started walking but Trotwood just kept jogging away. I mean, he's mentioned to me before that his favorite sport was running (basketball is his second favorite sport) but I just thought he meant he liked running around because he's an active seven year old. This was something completely new to see!
Mr. Rochester and I just kept watching him, a little incredulously, and cheering him on as he passed us. The only time Trotwood ever stopped running was when the teachers made everyone walk a lap to cool off because some of the students were getting overheated. It's still 80 degrees in October here! When Trotwood finished, Mr. Rochester and I both felt so proud and touched that Trotwood did such an amazing job! Seriously, it almost brought tears to my eyes - not because he was one of the first to finish (we're pretty sure he was the first second grader to complete all 35 laps) but because in my opinion, running 35 laps without stopping as a seven year old is pretty amazing. I think it ended up being around 3-4 miles. Um, I can't even do that without stopping! I was just so proud that he stuck with it and finished something hard. 
Afterwards, Trotwood was really tired, thirsty and sore but I could tell that he was really happy with his efforts. At the very end of the event, parents and supporters could do a victory lap with their student so we all walked together. 
We are so proud of our determined little runner! I hope he continues to try and accomplish things that are hard but also rewarding. And next year, I'll be sure to make a pledge for every lap he runs! 

No comments: