Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Puzzles & Pie

On Saturday, I took the kids to the library. We really have a fabulous local library with great selections of books, resources, and all sorts of events happening all the time. In the juvenile section of the library, there lots of puzzles on little kid tables and Little Dorrit has recently found an affinity for doing puzzles. When Trotwood was younger, the puzzles at the library were also one of his favorite things and I love seeing how Little D. enjoys them now.
A few months ago, Mr. Rochester's sister moved to Fayetteville and she and her husband recently bought a house. On Sunday, we went over to have dinner with them at their new house. When asking what we could bring to dinner, Mr. Rochester's sister suggested dessert and when I mentioned this to Mr. Rochester, he jokingly suggested that I could bring something lemon. You see, Mr. Rochester is not a fan of lemony desserts. But I love them! Unfortunately, if I make any sort of lemon dessert at home, then I am the only one eating it so I never make them unless we are going somewhere. And this time, I decided to make a lemon meringue pie! Mr. Rochester was a great sport and tried a bite of the pie. 

I can't remember the last time I made a lemon meringue pie, or actually even a pie in general. For most of the year, I feel like Mr. Rochester and I have tried to make healthy food choices which means cookies, cake, and pie don't get made very often at our house unless there is a special occasion. When making the pie, I somehow didn't read the very last sentence of the recipe which said the pie needs to set for 3 hours. Oops. So, the consistency of the pie ended up being a little runny. The pie crust also turned out a little chewy and I think this happened because I was in a hurry and didn't let the pie crust cool completely before adding the filling. 
The meringue turned out great though! I'm not sure how much meringue you are technically supposed to put on a meringue pie but I love it, so I piled it on pretty high. 
We had a great time eating and visiting - my kids just love their aunt, uncle and cousin! We so wish we could see more of our family more often!
And Little Dorrit loved wandering around their backyard. (I love the little dress she is wearing!) One of her favorite things to do is put her "shoes on" and "go outside." 

No comments: