Sunday, November 1, 2015

All Saints Day

When I was serving as a missionary and living in the Philippines, I remember the week before every November 1st, the residents of whichever town I was living in at the time would go to the graveyard and busily clean up the graves of their dearly departed before November 1st. And on November 1st, they would visit those graves, often staying for hours and hours and literally having parties there. Mr. Rochester and I like this tradition of visiting the graves of our loved ones on November 1st and have decided that this is something we want to do with our family whenever possible. It was actually a beautiful day today and after church, we all went to visit the cemetery. Here we are (next time we'll get some headstones in the background): 

Later this afternoon, we went on a drive down the Arkansas Pig Trail and stopped to walk around a local park on the way back to our house. 


Trotwood played on the playground for a few minutes and I took Little Dorrit down a slide. Mr. Rochester had some fun with her too. 


video


video


Today, I was released from my church calling serving in the Young Women's Organization. For the last two and a half years, I've loved working with the youth and the other Young Women leaders, and I have learned so much from them! Although it is a little sad for me to not be with the youth organization anymore, I'm excited about new opportunities to serve. 

4 comments:

Jani said...

I was just released from Young Women's too and I'm so bummed about it. But really, I love your November 1 tradition. Dia de Los muertos is very big around here with the large Hispanic population is the area--so much so that instead of a big planter of mums at Costco, they have huge pots of marigolds to buy. I didn't know of a connection until I brought a pot home last week, but it had a tag all about how marigolds are traditional offerings for the dead. So now I'm going to take mine to my boy when we visit this week. Love you and your girls and boy. Xoxox

Aria said...

Love you, Jan! I loved serving in YW - I think it's the most fun calling in the church! I love your story about the marigolds! I didn't share this in my post, but I think next year we are going to actually have a picnic at the cemetery. I figured most people might think that would be a strange thing to do but honestly, I just love the idea. So, pending unforeseen catastrophe and if the weather is nice next year, I think we're going to try doing that.

Jani said...

I love that idea! Right now we are in containment mode when we go--Ellie is a super active 2 year old who is doing just what Macie did when Patrick first died--she steals all the balloons and flowers from the other babies' graves and totally runs wild. He's buried in the baby section of the cemetery, so there are LOTS of fun things for her to steal. Meanwhile I just.want.to.have.a.moment but it's basically a three ring circus! I can laugh about it now, I figure Patrick enjoys the diversion. ;) I think you have earned the right to do whatever the heck you want to do when you visit your girls.

Aria said...

Thanks, Jan! Ellie sounds like she loves being at the cemetery with you all and I bet Patrick loves it too. Elijah is the same way - and I'm just glad that he feels comfortable there with us. *hugs*