Wednesday, November 5, 2014

To withdraw

"To remove or take away something from a particular place or position."

Little Dorrit continues to do well with her RAM cannula even with her caretakers weaning her down some. Still no signs of reaccumulating pleural effusions. Hooray! She seemed pretty peaceful to me until this afternoon. I left her room to get some lunch and when I came back, instead of sleeping peacefully, she was tossing and turning in her bed (to the extent she can) and crying out in her sleep. She was trying to sleep but for some reason, she couldn't. And she was sucking really hard on her pacifier, almost like she was hungry. To try to soothe her, I held her hand with one of mine and with the other, I put slight pressure around her head to help her know I was present. That worked for a little bit and she would relax, then she would tense back up again and cry out.

I was puzzled. Little Dorrit's diaper was clean and she wasn't hungry because she gets continuous feeds of 26 ml per hour of her special formula from a feeding tube. Her behavior seemed abnormal to me and right as I was trying to figure out who to talk to about this one of her doctors on the PAC (pediatric advanced care) team stopped by. I mentioned this behavior to her and she observed it as we were talking. Then she asked me if Little Dorrit had runny stools and I told her she'd had at least two today. At that moment, Little Dorrit sneezed (which is cute) but also something new in the last little while. After gathering all this information, the doctor said that Little Dorrit was showing symptoms of withdrawal. Apparently, during the doctors' rounds this morning, which I didn't hear well since I was changing a poopy diaper, they decided to  start weaning Little Dorrit off of the morphine drip she has been on. They only went down a little on the drip but it was enough to cause her little body to dislike the change. Poor sweet, little drug addicted baby.

I asked what I could do to help her feel better and the doctors and nurses both said to just try to comfort her. They are also watching her and will give her a boost if she really needs it. I imagine she will need something tonight to help her sleep as her little body had a very difficult time relaxing earlier. I asked her nurse if holding her might help and she thought it would. So, I was able to rock her to sleep and hold her for about two hours today. For the most part, she slept peacefully in my arms and I was able to reassure her when she started to fuss in her sleep. Although I hate that Little Dorrit has to go through this, I am glad I can help comfort her and help her through this. I wish I had the stamina to stay with her at the hospital all night so I could comfort her when she needed it this evening. By the end of each day, I'm exhausted. I know her nurses love her and always take really good care of her so I continue to put my trust in them.
Sleeping in mommy's arms.

5 comments:

Kelly said...

I totally know what you mean about being exhausted at the end of a day in the NICU. I'm glad she is somewhat responding to you and calming down a bit. I remember Cannon didn't love coming off those meds either. Hopefully tomorrow will be better. She is such a pretty baby. I'm so glad you get to be there!

Jani said...

Poor little sweetie, and poor tired momma! I love seeing the photos of her cute little face!

Nonnie Light said...

Prayers of comfort and that this will quickly and completely pass. Beautiful pictures.

tami osmer glatz said...

She is just so beautiful!

Jenny said...

She's so beautiful!