Thursday, November 6, 2014

Small strides

Little Dorrit made some small strides today. Instead of the RAM cannula with so many puffs of air a minute, she is now on a flow of room air. Her chest tube output is still zero which is a good thing because late this evening after I left the hospital she somehow managed to rip out her chest tube. I imagine that probably didn't feel great but neither does having a chest tube from what I understand. So, in the morning, we'll have to see what the doctors say about this. I doubt they will put the tube back in unless they think another pleural effusion has formed. Speaking of which, since her pleural effusions have thankfully not returned, they are going to hold off on sending her records to Boston Children's. I'm taking this as good news and a tender mercy and hoping her little body is healing itself.

For a lot of the day today, Little Dorrit seemed pretty uncomfortable. I'm wondering if that was from the chest tube, the decrease in morphine, or a combination of the two. I keep praying she can get the rest she needs to recover. Here is a photo from today:
See the neat trick the nurses did with her pacifier? They taped it to a rolled up burp cloth so it doesn't fall out of her mouth when she is swaddled. Those NICU nurses are full of great ideas!

4 comments:

Katie @SwimBikeQuilt said...

These last few posts have made me so happy. Of course, not the withdrawal part. Poor sweet baby. I can't imagine! But I love seeing her beautiful eyes. Keep up the good work little one!

Jenny said...

She sounds like a force to be reckoned with! What a cutie pie.

Julie said...

Sounds like things are progressing so well! So sorry she's been so uncomfortable. Love seeing so many pictures of her, she's such a gorgeous baby!

Kel said...

I'm a bit surprised her records hadn't already been sent to Boston and that they've changed their minds about it. But I am SO GLAD for all the improvements! I'm also very pleased that you could be there to hold her during withdrawal. Thank goodness she had the option of the morphine drip all this time to help keep her comfortable. I cannot tell you enough how much I ***LOVE*** the photos of her up and awake and aware and looking around. She is beyond precious.