Tuesday, September 23, 2014

A quick update

This is just going to be a really quick update. Little Dorrit's three toes on her left foot looked slightly better today! Better equals less dark purple with a slight pink tinge. Hooray! Mr. Rochester and I hope that her little toes continue to get better. As far as we know, her platelets are still okay since her last transfusion which was yesterday. Her breathing is steady on the oscillator still. Today we finally got to talk with a few of the doctors that are working with her - we usually just see the nurses and nurse practitioners. Overall, I feel like the doctors are positive about her case although they are still very puzzled as to her platelet and circulation issues. Hearing them be positive helps me feel more positive. We keep hoping and praying her little toes will get better and that she won't have any more platelet issues. After several ultrasounds of her head and body, doctors have found no bleeds or blood clots. Of course, this is a great thing but there is still no explanation why her toes have turned colors (if she'd had a blood clot, that could possibly have explained the toe issue).

Sometimes, I think of the NICU as such as a sad place but I have to keep reminding myself that it is a place where miracles can happen. It's a place where babies get the treatment they need to become as well as they can be and even recover fully. We met a new mom a few days ago and she delivered her baby around 28 weeks. Even at 28 weeks, parents can have hope that their baby might still grow and recover in the NICU. I am amazed at how much modern medicine can help little babies recover and I hope the doctors we are working with will have a "light bulb" moment to help our little one recover from whatever it is that is causing her these issues.

5 comments:

Jani said...

Miracles DO happen in the NICU. I'm glad you were able to talk to her doctor today and that her toes are looking better! And thank goodness that her ultrasounds have been clear. Hugs to you, love you.

Katie @SwimBikeQuilt said...

Yep. We hope they have a lightbulb moment too! So glad you got to talk with the doctors and that her toes are improving. Hugs.

Mrs. Cinnamon said...

I'm so thankful for these small updates. Not only does it reassure us that Little Dorrit is doing all that she can to stay here with you, but your sweet, sweet spirit is here in your words. You are so strong and courageous. Little Dorrit is so lucky to have parents that are willing to do all that you can (in such a limiting environment). NICU is where miracles happen.

Danielle said...

I want you to know I think of you every day since your sister-in-law told me what's up. Our NICU stay was overwhelming; I loved having the RM House to live in, though. If you need any advice, help, or just an ear, I would be more than happy to help. Here's hoping things calm down and she'll be ok!

Cormorant said...

Love this positive update! Xoxo