Monday, July 21, 2014

Chocolatey goodness!


My parents came up for a visit this weekend. Last week was my step-dad's 64th birthday so I thought it would be fun to surprise him with a chocolate cake. Also, when I took my glucose test for this pregnancy a few weeks ago, my blood sugar was high so I cut out all refined sugars and simple carbohydrates before going in for the 3 hours glucose screening last Tuesday. By Saturday, I still hadn't heard about the three hour glucose test so I thought I could treat myself to a slice of the chocolate cake since I'd been going without sugar for a few weeks. I was really pleased with how the cake turned, especially since I don't think I've ever attempted a chocolate cake from scratch before.

Cake reviews from the family: My mom and step-dad seemed to like it. Trotwood said it was "too chocolatey" for him, and Mr. Rochester had a very small slice (he's also not a huge chocolate guy). I thought it was awesome. Here are the recipes I used: Moist Chocolate Cake & Fluffy Chocolate Frosting. I think I originally saw this recipe because one of Mr. Rochester's cousins posted online that she made this and it was amazing. So, when I had the chance to bake for some chocolate lovers, I wanted to try it out.
Obviously, my decorating job isn't anything to write home about and I should have take a picture of just a slice of the cake to show the texture but if you like chocolate, this is an awesome cake to make. Oh, also, instead of using coffee in the cake, I just used boiling hot water and it still turned out deliciously.

No comments: