Sunday, November 3, 2013

Genius

Eric Whitacre is a genius. If you've never listened to any of the choral works by Eric Whitacre performed by the BYU University Singers (or even anyone else), listen to them now. A whole album of the BYU Singers singing Eric Whitacre works is on Spotify. His compositions cannot accurately be described as beautiful or music. They are moving and transcendent pieces of art. This is one of the most touching pieces I have ever heard. The entire text of the piece is one single sentence from the King James Bible - II Samuel, 18:33:

When David heard that Absalom was slain he went up into his chamber over the gate and wept, my son, my son, O Absalom my son, would God I had died for thee! 

Rarely have I been moved to tears from listening to music. This would be one of those few times. Below is just music, no video. I know it's long but it is worth it. Just listen. Your life will change.



1 comment:

Joeby said...

Thanks for posting this!! Love you :)