Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Tornado Warnings!

Usually, I don't get all worked up whenever I hear about tornado warnings in our area. However, in light of the awful tragedy in Joplin, which is only a short distance from us, and an email that was sent out at the University yesterday entitled Today's Storm Potential, I began to consider the possibility that our area here could be hit by a tornado. Truthfully, I think the email is what really worried me. The email came from a local fire department that had participated in a weather webinar where the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) stated that last night it was very likely our area would see "long lived, violent tornadoes..that multiple super cells will form and produce violent tornadoes with hail potentially the size of a baseball to softball, followed by a large squall line with intense thunderstorms, lightning, and heavy rainfall...the National Weather Service is predicting that today will produce the worst storms to date for our general area for this year." Now, I don't know about you, but that all sounded pretty darn scary to me and it was all supposed to begin in our area around 8 pm last night.

After discussing the potential awfulness headed our way, Mr. Rochester and I decided we would stay up late so we could be informed about any change in our climate situation. Usually, we'd just go to bed and let the thunder and lightning lull us to sleep. Around 9:30 pm last night we started loading supplies in Trotwood's bathroom, which is in the innermost part of our house. Once we'd gotten a few of life's necessities stowed away in the bathroom, we decided to go ahead and use the space available in our linen closet, which is the only other space in our house that doesn't share an outside wall and has a door. You may laugh at this, and that's okay, but I threw aside many of the linens in the closet and instead stowed away many things near and dear to our hearts that would be impossible to replace like photographs, scrapbooks, etc. Doing this reminded me of a time when I was kid and for some reason, I just knew our house was going to burn down so I packed all of my belongings in plastic grocery stores bags and set them by my bedroom door so I could grab them and run as soon as that fire started. Of course, our house didn't burn down and I eventually had to unpack my things, but the point is, I was prepared, and that's what Mr. Rochester and I were trying to do last night - to just be prepared! Anyway, last night it was a little unreal for Mr. Rochester and me to walk around our home with the uncertainty that we might not be seeing the walls of our home again the next morning.

Earlier that day, I'd had a traumatic experience at the dentist's office (any visit to the dentist, aside from a regular cleaning, is a bit traumatic for me - I rate dental work along the same lines as childbirth), and by 10:30 pm, I was exhausted. I collapsed on our bed and fell asleep while Mr. Rochester stoically sat by the television to hear of our impending doom and report it as soon as it was upon us. An hour later, I was awoken by phone alerts of tornado warnings in our county - we had three such warnings between 10 pm and 1 am. I got out of bed and paced around with Mr. Rochester until about 12:30 am when the tornado warnings for our county had all been cancelled. Then, we went to bed, grateful the storms had missed us while our hearts went out to those to the north and south of us who had been hit by recent tornadoes. We slept peacefully for the next six hours until Trotwood's oh-so-patient-yells woke us from our slumber. *yawn*

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, stumbled across your blog while using the 'next blog' button and just want to let you know that us in New Zealand are all for pre-pared-ed-ness, Over here after Pike River and Christchurch's earthquakes, we have seen it ourselves I think everyone across the world needs to be a little bit more prepared for acts of natural disaster, incase of that "never happen here" event happening here and now, Best of luck for you and your area.