Saturday, May 14, 2011

Becoming a domestic goddess

On Tuesday night, I tried out a new spaghetti and meatballs recipe. Originally, Mr. Rochester was going to make this dish and he bought all the ingredients for it. It's finals week, Mr. Rochester is swamped, we needed dinner and I volunteered to cook the meal.

This spaghetti and meatballs recipe comes from our America's Test Kitchen Healthy Family cookbook. So far, we have enjoyed most of the recipes from this cookbook, especially because when we cook from it, we feel good about ourselves in the thought that we are at least trying to eat more healthily (of course, what I really need to do is cut out all the cake and chocolate that I like to eat on the side). However, these recipes are notorious for taking a long time to make. Despite the simplicity of a recipe for spaghetti and meatballs, this recipe would live up to the infamy of the last few we've made in taking a long time to make.

Because of a confusing note in the cookbook about which kinds of ground turkey to buy, Mr. Rochester made the mistake of buying turkey breast cutlets instead of ground turkey. I discovered this mistake after I'd already started making dinner and I didn't just want to throw everything away but I no clue how to make meatballs with turkey breast cutlets until...I remembered that somewhere tucked away, I had my grandmother's old meat grinder attachment to the old kitchen aid she used to have which I now use on a regular basis. After a few minutes of digging around in my kitchen, I found the attachment, cleaned it, googled how to use it and let me tell you, folks, much to my surprise and delight, I successfully ground up turkey breast cutlets to use in meatballs!

During the entire time I was trying to figure out my dilemma with the meat and the meat grinder, Trotwood needed something every five minutes and goodness it's hard to ignore those persistent screams to pay attention to him! I tried putting on 101 Dalmatians for him to watch but he won't watch anything for more than five minutes except Bolt, so after 45 minutes or so of an unhappy Trotwood, Bolt once again made his appearance on our television screen.

And so, three hours after beginning the spaghetti and meatballs, Mr. Rochester and I sat down to eat it. By this time, Trotwood had eaten something else and long been in bed. I was exhausted and you know what? It was alright. The food was tasty and I realized the next time I wanted to make that recipe, I'd make sure I wouldn't have to grind my own meat for meatballs. But in case I need to, I now know how to do it, which is just one more thing I can check off on the proverbial list to becoming a domestic goddess.

1 comment:

EfR said...

It would seem that Mr. R is not the sharpest tool in the shed!