Saturday, April 9, 2011

Visits

Mr. Rochester's dad isn't doing very well so the last several weekends we've made the four hour trek to visit with him. We're very glad that we can spend this time with Mr. Rochester's family. Mr. Rochester and his dad have spent much of the time watching sports together. You can't see it but Mr. Rochester is sporting an LA Dodgers t-shirt. "Let's go, Dodgers!" or as Trotwood would say, "Do-Dee, do-Dee!"

The card rides have definitely been a challenge. Trotwood just isn't the sort of boy who wants to sit still for any period of time. We tried getting him to watch DVDs in the car but that usually only works for about 30 minutes. And the only DVD Trotwood is remotely interested in that we own is Disney's Bolt and he's only interested in that because there are dogs in it. We've tried books, toys and music and yes, even neck pillows. That pillow entertained him for about 2 minutes.
I am so open to suggestions on how to keep a 20-month old entertained on long car rides!

7 comments:

Candy Fam said...

Drive at night!!! When my kids were babies we would always drive to Cali in the middle of the night. Yes were were tired the next day, but it was totally worth it to have the kids sleep on the long drive. :D

Kate @SwimBikeQuilt said...

Everyone's hero (everybody's?) only movie Lucas would watch. About babe Ruth/talking baseball. Little einsteins? Good luck!

Joy said...

benadryl:)

Miss Summerson said...

lol Thanks for the ideas, everyone! Katie, I think we actually bougth that movie a long time ago but never opened it - I'm going to have to dig for it! Trotwood is obsessed with baseball too so he might actually watch it. Ashley, I'm afraid I'D be the one falling asleep! Joy - I may resort to the benadryl!

Amber T said...

I have zero suggestions since I'm about a year and a half behind you on the parenting, but I just wanted to say that I highly enjoyed reading Trotwood's version of, "Let's go, Dodgers!" :)

Desiree said...

Chase had a brother and sister to entertain him. I would say maybe some crayons and coloring books or drive early in the morning or late at night. Or make a half way stop in the LR area.....not that you would know anyone there! I am glad that you guys are able to keep going down on the weekends. I know that it helps debbie and the girls.

SM Lainhart said...

When I travel I go right around nap time. I don't know about him but Ms. M sleeps for at least 2 1/2 to 3 hours so I'm practically to my parents place by the time she wakes up. They have travel doodle pads that use water pens so easy clean up and no stains if it is dropped on the seat. Good luck! Food also helps. Treats! ;)