Wednesday, February 16, 2011

the Duchess

I recently watched this movie because it was streaming on Netflix. I'd added it to our queue awhile ago, and it was time for it to not be on our queue anymore. Before watching it, I honestly wasn't sure what to expect out of it. From the previews and the little I knew about the movie, I thought it would be reminiscent of Marie Antoinette type films, of which I am not a huge fan. To an extent, I think it was like those films, but the movie completely caught me off guard.

I'll admit that I can be somewhat of a crybaby during emotional or extremely sad parts of movies and after watching this movie, I may have cried useless tears of pity for the characters. My tears for the characters may have lasted a bit longer than usual and I may have been depressed for the rest of the night after watching the movie, but after thinking about the movie for several days, I think I actually liked it, even though, I told Mr. Rochester that night, through my tears, that this was possibly the worse movie ever. You see, the reason I was so upset at the end of the movie was because I didn't realize it was a true story until then, and up until that point, I'd just thought of it as a movie. Of course, I'm sure the movie is full of dramatization, but I just felt really bad for the characters afterwards. Ralph Fiennes is the perfect villain and I forgot that Keira Knightley was playing the duchess (I'm not a big fan of hers either). Now, I'm interested in reading the biography of the duchess written by Amanda Foreman. All in all, I don't regret watching the film, but I may not watch it again.

4 comments:

Joy said...

i totally watched that one late-laundry-folding night. it is a sad story. but, i could not look at the dutch without thinking of lord voldemort!!

levian said...

i haven't catch this one. it's so difficult to find a good classic themed movie these days. but from the sound of it, i'm sure it's one great one for me to aim!

Doodle On Yoo said...

Read this. Watched it.

Can't make up my mind....
Sad, beautiful, and a great look into history.

But, I don't know if I liked it either.

Desiree said...

I have that on my list to watch. Thanks for the warning. I will now be prepared before I watch it.