Monday, November 1, 2010

Thirty Things

I'm going to be 30 years old in a few weeks. Usually, I don't have issues with birthdays, but for some reason, this year, I just don't want to turn 30. Maybe it's the vain part of myself that is focusing on those few gray hairs that have popped up or that fine line that has appeared under my left eye or those few pounds that I still haven't shed from having two babies. Sometimes, it's so easy to forget the wonderful things in our lives and focus on our perceptions of what is wrong with ourselves.

This past Sunday, my husband and I spoke in church and while I was preparing my talk, I came across a talk by Elder Henry B. Eyring entitled O Remember, Remember. He talked about how sometimes we can forget God and the blessings we've been given. He said "It can...be hard to remember Him when our lives go badly. When we struggle, as so many do, in grinding poverty or when our enemies prevail against us or when sickness is not healed, the enemy of our souls can send his evil message that there is no God or that if He exists He does not care about us. Then it can be hard for the Holy Ghost to bring to our remembrance the lifetime of blessings the Lord has given us from our infancy and in the midst of our distress."

Then, I read a talk by Barbara Thomspon entitled Mind the Gap where she talked about how even though we know that we are children of God, "it seems that at times of hardship or difficulty we have a tendency to doubt or forget this. Some have said such things as: 'If God really loved me, He would not let this illness come upon my child.' 'If God loved me, He would help me find a worthy husband I could be married and sealed to in the holy temple.' 'If God loved me, we would have enough money to buy a house for our family.' Or, 'I have sinned and so God couldn’t possibly love me anymore.'” She said "You need to know that there is nothing that can “separate [you] from the love of Christ.” The scriptures clearly tell us that no tribulation, distress, persecution, power, nor any other creature can separate us from the love of God" (Romans 8:35-39)...“It is the Holy Ghost that testifies of the reality of God and allows us to feel the joy of His love.”

So, instead of focusing on the negative aspects of aging and the things that I have yet to accomplish in my life, I've decided to try and focus on the blessings I've been given and the things for which I am grateful. I can be "thirty, flirty, and thriving!" Since there are 30 days in November and I'm turning 30 this month, my goal is to post every day, one reason or blessing I've been given for which I am grateful. And today, I am grateful for my family. I have been abundantly blessed in the love I receive and the love that I have for my spouse and my children and I am so grateful for them.

1 comment:

Mama Bean said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY this month. Welcome to your thirty's!! It is not as bad as I feared.