Monday, November 15, 2010

Kuya

Definition: kuya \koo ya\, noun
1. A filipino term meaning older brother.
For some reason, I love this picture. It was taken a few years ago at a friend's house. I know my eyes are almost closed and it's not the most flattering picture of me and my older brother (hello, double chins on both of us!) but I like our smiles. When we were growing up, my brother would always pick on me and do things on purpose to aggravate me. I think all older brothers must do this to some extent to younger sisters/siblings. As I got older, I realized he did all those annoying things not only because he loved teasing me but also because he just loved me. I appreciate all the advice he's given me over the years, all the times he listened to me whine and complain about school, boys, and other silly things, and all the love and bear hugs he's given me. Now we are friends and I love visiting with him and his wondeful family. My older brother is a great guy who, like his big mouth, has a big heart too. I'm so grateful for my older brother. I love my kuya.

3 comments:

Mayet said...

Hi! I'm a Filipino and I really like this entry. I think it's cool to have a brother.

Desiree said...

lol, I love that pic too. You guys look so happy and full of love.

Isaac Ralston said...

I don't remember ever picking on you or listening to you whine about boys. However, despite all the misrepresentations of your "Kuya" in this posting, I love you, too. I am so grateful to have you as my sister and definitely enjoy spending. However, this does not entitle you to an airline ticket purchase. I would have put "another", but as I type this, I don't think I paid you back for the last one....oops. I'll get on that. :)