Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Baby food

About a month ago, I gave in and started making Trotwood's baby food from scratch. When I first heard about people making their own baby food, I thought, "Gee, what a waste of time!" It takes enough time and effort to make my own dinner. With working full-time, I was definitely convinced that using the pureed Gerber foods you could buy at the store was the best option for me. And I did use them...until about a month ago when Trotwood's appetite increased so much that he was eating 2-3 jars of baby food per meal time. After doing a quick cost-benefit analysis, I decided it would be cheaper to make his baby food than buy it.

Several months ago, I was talking to a friend about making your own baby food (and how I wasn't going to do it) and she shared this website with me that gives you recipes and tells you step by step how to make and store the baby food. So far, I've made the fish chowder, pork chops & applesauce, and macaroni and cheese recipes, and Trotwood has really liked them all. Usually, I just make the food, puree, and then freeze it in a silicone muffin pan. After they're sufficiently frozen in muffin shape, I transfer them to freezer bags (I only have the one silicone muffin pan).

I have also used another website just as a reference for pureeing and storing food. This website listed some lentil baby food recipes and since I had some lentils on hand, I tried making their recipe mix of lentils, brown rice, and carrots (which didn't sound too bad, in my opinion). However, after all my hard work and sweat, Trotwood just didn't seem to appreciate a good lentil and wants nothing to do with it!

So, the battle began...and I wasn't going to lose.

I tactically gave him a bite of sweet potatoes to mask the lentils.

He quickly figured out my strategy and defended by simply turning his head at the sight of the spoon.

I changed positions, made some "choo choo" train noises, and received a grin, which then gave me the advantage to empty the spoon in his mouth and once again achieve victory.

After that, Trotwood resorted to brute force to ward off the offending spoon.

The battle ended in a truce. Mom decided to put down the spoon and let Trotwood "feed" himself the last remnants of his meal. This made Mom happy since the bowl was empty and Trotwood felt victorious since he got to squish his food everywhere.

6 comments:

Doodle On Yoo said...

Oh how cute! He sure looks happy with his mess!
I used to make home made for the girls, and once or twice for Afton. I have a "Happy Baby food grinder" That works instantly! Put in some cooked veggies, push down while turning handle, and it's done!!!!
Maybe I should try it more often....

Desiree said...

I bet it is fun to make the baby foods. I know it was fun to watch the battle!!!!!!

Amber said...

Looks like he was determined to make a mess! I'm glad everyone came out smiling.

Natalie R. said...

Wow, I'm impressed you're making his food! I might need some tips in a few months... I like the description of the battle, too - I'm glad you both won. :0)

Anonymous said...

This is WAY WAY WAY too cute! Can't wait to see you guys again! -Sarah

Thankful Day said...

And he scores again! Baby 1, Mom 0We'll patch up the bumper pads when he is through with the crib. They are his to enjoy - however he enjoys them!