Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Gamers

Over the last few years, Mr. Rochester and I have developed somewhat of a nerdy board game habit. When we lived out west, we lived near a really cool board game store. We first started visiting the store to check out their party games like Cranium and Loaded Questions. The store had so many games that we'd never heard of so we'd spend time looking at all of those games too. Then one year for Christmas, I bought Mr. Rochester a non-party game that he always looked at when we went to the store. The game is called 1960: The Making of the US President and it's a two player political board game where one of you is Richard Nixon and the other person is John F. Kennedy and you are vying for the right to lead the country into the heart of the Cold War. Sound nerdy? Well, it is. Although the game was a little complicated for us to figure out at first, we enjoyed playing it. Thus began our adventure into the world of Euro games and board game nerddom. Shortly after our first venture into boardgaming, Mr. Rochester started a new job and became friends with a coworker who is very into these types of board games. Everyone at the game store personally knew Mr. Rochester's coworker and he even did hours-long demonstrations at the store on how to play some of the more complicated games. Yes, I did say hours long because sometimes it can really take that long to play some of these games. In fact, after we started playing 1960, I think we had it set up on our kitchen table for about a month because we would play when we had time and just pick up where we left off (although I don't think 1960 is supposed to take that long, we were just novices). Mr. Rochester's friend owns a countless number of games and he would invite us over some Saturdays to play games that we never heard of before but came to really enjoy. As a result of all of this, Mr. Rochester and I became hooked and started researching different games we thought we would enjoy on boardgamegeek.com. Here are some of our favorite games:

We LOVE this game. It is a cooperative game where you are trying to cure diseases before the pandemic spreads all over the world and everyone dies.
This is a political game about the US and USSR during the Cold War.

We are big fans of the Lord of the Rings books and movies and this is a cooperative game where you try to beat the game. There are 3 expansion packs that you can buy for this one and surprise, surprise, we own all 3 of them.

Lost Cities is a two player card game. I like it more than Mr. Rochester, probably because it's quick...and I always win. This is an archaeological game and...it's fun...and easy.
So, now we own all sorts of board games and card games, some of which we still haven't played. The few games we own that we haven't played yet are games that require more than two players, or they're just really complicated and we haven't taken the time to go through the 25+ page rule book. See, we don't openly share our board game nerdiness with others. But now that I've exposed our nerdiness on the internet, I might as well use this time to recruit more players. We're so happy that our friends J & A have moved closer and are willing to play games with us. We wish that Mr. Rochester's best friend, M and his wife, lived closer because we would definitely nerd it up with them. I'm just going to throw out the invitation anyway, if you would like to join our nerd club, I am sure we would welcome you with open arms.

7 comments:

Desiree said...

Mike and I have been board gamers for years. It makes date night at home more interesting when you are broke and have kids. We always try and get newlyweds a boardgame to start a collection. I am interested in a couple of the ones you had posted and will be looking them up in 3....2....1

Amber said...

We love board games too! Too bad we dont' live in F-ville :( We have some friends who live in Bryant that we can play board games with. Have you ever played Settlers of Catan? It's my favorite!!! I love it because it's different every time you play it because you rebuild the game board each time. Sometimes it takes hours to play one game, but sometimes it takes 30 minutes, depending on how the board is layed out.

Mama Bean said...

Nerd!!! hehehe I just had to get that in there. You never mentioned the heated games of -CRAP was is the name- whatever that card game was. Miss those times!

Amber T said...

All I have to say is that you'd better watch out for "DAMAGE!" lol!

Miss Summerson said...

MB, I believe the name of the game was HAND and FOOT. Wow, Mr. Rochester and I haven't played that in awhile. We might have to get our nerd on with that one again soon. Those games get so heated though. Mr. Rochester and I will still battle it out if we don't play on the same team.

Amber, hahaha...that was so funny. I think that "DAMAGE!" will probably live on. hahaha

Thankful Day said...

Wish I could say I liked board games. I like anything that allows me to be creative..ie Scrabble etc. but hate things that make me advance over spaces after waiting my turn. I guess I am a failure as a nerd,... and yet so many nerd characteristics and a mom to so many nerdy children :)

Kel said...

Oh thank you for your suggestions! We're always looking for new games we'll love... especially ones that we can play with only 2 or 4 players. I bought "Pandemic" for my brother for Christmas and then had a really hard time giving it up. That's the true Christmas spirit for you. But now I need to go buy one for myself, methinks.