Saturday, January 16, 2010

Remembering

I can hardly believe it has been two years since our baby girl was born. Sometimes, that time in my life almost seems like a dream. I am so grateful for the few memories I have and for these beautiful photographs that help me remember her. Since Trotwood was born, I often wonder what his older sister would be like now at two years old. Would she and Trotwood look alike? Would they get along? What kind of personality would she have? What kinds of things would she be interested in? I am so grateful that we were blessed with her, even for such a short time on earth.

Mr. Rochester and I are going to visit her grave this weekend. I am so glad that we are able to do this a second year in a row on her birthday. Since I know we probably won't always be able to visit her grave on her birthday, I'd like to establish some sort of a tradition to celebrate her on her birthday every year. I'm sure I'll make a cake in her honor. Mr. Rochester and I have talked about donating to Now I Lay me Down to Sleep each year on her birthday and we will probably do that, but I'd like to do something more...I've heard that some people release balloons, one for each year of the person's life, but I can't see myself doing that. I thought about making a quilt block each year for her and making them all into a quilt at some point and I kind of like that idea. Does anyone have any great ideas?

9 comments:

Doodle On Yoo said...

No foot is too small to leave an imprint on the world.

Thinking of your family today.
I think the quilt is a wonderful idea.

Kel said...

I am remembering too. My heart aches. I don't know how you have made it through. We love you.

Beautiful idea to make a quilt block for each year. Donating something on her behalf is also a great idea. The only other thing I could think of is to write a book (since you are both literary folk) with made up adventures in her honor... a chapter a year or something.

Amber said...

You're all in our thoughts today.

The quilt idea is so beautiful. I also like what Kel suggested -- the book of what her adventures could be each year. You and Mr. Rochester could even do that together (whereas you'd probably be sewing the quilt block without as much input from Mr. Rochester). When Trotwood is old enough, he could even help.

Brittany said...

My thoughts are with you today, Aria.

I think the quilt is a perfect idea.

Shells said...

Those pictures are so very precious. I, too am thinking of you and your family. And I love the quilt idea.

Michelle said...

Such beautiful pictures. I think those are all wonderful ways to remember her. I think the quilt would be something neat because it is something you could always have to look at once it's finished and remind you of her. Love you girl! Miss you lots!

Desiree said...

I love the idea of the quilt. I did not realize how much Eli looks like his sister until I looked at the pics. You have beautiful children and I look forward to getting to meet your first little one when the time comes.

Mama Bean said...

I love you!!! The thought of this entire experience still brings me to sobbing tears. You and your sweet baby will always have a special tug on my heart!!! Yup...now the tears are coming...

Becki Becki Bo Becki said...

I'm so glad your day was a peaceful one. I don't know what I would do each year but my cousin who also lost a child at birth writes a letter to the child or a "year in review" type thing. Like others mentioned, the quilt could be helpful too. We love you!