Thursday, October 8, 2009

No guilt

Trotwood is one of those babies who wants to be held all of the time. Maybe all babies are like this but since this is my first experience I don't know any differently. We have a baby bouncer and a swing and we have tried them both with him. He'll sit in the bouncer for a few minutes as long as someone is in the room paying attention to him and he absolutely detested the swing at first. Slowly, we have been working more "swing time" into his schedule - mainly so we can have short breaks. If he falls asleep on us while we are holding him we can put him in the swing and sometimes he won't wake up for about 20-30 minutes.

He also doesn't like to take naps during the day. Let me rephrase that, he doesn't like to take naps during the day unless you are holding him the entire time. As soon as you think he is asleep and try to put him down, he wakes up. We've tried letting him cry it out for naps but he has cried for an hour straight without taking a nap. We've also tried putting him down for naps and letting him cry for 10, 15, and then 20 minute intervals and that method has not been successful for us either. Despite that, we are very lucky that Trotwood is sleeping well at night in his bassinet. He only wakes up once or twice during the night to eat and then goes right back to sleep. I love holding my baby but every now and then I would like to be able to take a break without him screaming at the top of his lungs. You think after about 10 minutes, he would stop. No, not our little boy - he must be heard.

Last week I really needed to get some things done around the house so I tried putting Trotwood in his bouncer in front of the television and turned on Baby Einstein Van Gogh. Mr. Rochester's mother gave us two Baby Einstein videos and we hadn't tried them out yet. Although I hated the idea of parking my two month old in front of the television, I was willing to try it out so I could do a few things around the house...and it worked! Trotwood sat in his bouncer and "watched" the entire Baby Einstein video (which was only 20 minutes long). I tried putting the video on again for him after the 20 minutes was up but he was done with it. Since then I've had some more success with the video and decided to make the following purchase on Ebay. It's the Baby Einstein DVD Collection and includes 26 Baby Einstein programs. I think this will be good way to preserve my sanity for at least 20 minutes during the day and I don't feel one bit guilty about having Trotwood "watch" 20 minutes of a Baby Einstein video. It's educational.

12 comments:

Mama Bean said...

Pinto was the same way...IT WAS BRUTAL!!!! She would scream for hours if you put her down. I am right there with you on the sanity savor in Baby Einstein!!! Good luck....LOVES.

Mrs. W said...

Wow, who would have thought! But, hey if it works then it works!

James and Sarah Narramore said...

I feel for you. I love the baby einstein movies. They are teaching them and it will benefit both of you. A happy baby means a happy mommy! :) That is awesome he is sleeping well at night. MaK had her nights and days mixed up for a while and I about went crazy.

Michelle said...

I agree that you have to do what works for you and your baby. Every baby is different. I'll have to keep baby Einsteins in mind for when my little guy comes.

Doodle On Yoo said...

Raedin loves Baby Einstein! We started with just the musical episodes when he was little, now he loves the counting and color episodes. And 1 or 2 a day is enough to give me a break to do dishes or something. Have you tried using a front carrier or one of those baby wraps? I hear those can help keep them "held" by you but gives you free hands. Good luck!

Shells said...

Abby was the same way, and today she still doesn't take very good naps. But she started sleeping 12 hours at night when she was about 2 months old so I forgave her everything. Mike took wonderful naps and was up half the night. Maybe there is something to that?

Have you tried letting him sleep on his stomach. I know that isn't what the docs tell you to do these days, but both of my kids slept much better on their tummies and they survived (and have nice shaped heads). Good luck, it does get easier.

And TV is a total life savor. My goal of not letting my kids watch TV went out the window when Mike was a few months old and I've never looked back.

Laina said...

Hobbes was the exact same. He would NOT nap unless I help him the entire time. It was no fun. However, he does better now. There is still about 1 day a week that he wants to be held to nap but I can easily deal with that. In fact I love those moments now when I can just cuddle with him. So hopefully Trotwood will grow out of it as well. Around 4 months is when it started for Hobbes. He still likes to be held most of the time, but we just bought a door jumper and he loves that WAY more than anything else, so I am able to get even more done now. Glad you found something that works. Whatever helps to keep a mothers sanity is great.

Desiree said...

For Derek it was Fantasia 2000. Mikes sister Becky used Baby einstein with her youngest too. Moms need breaks.

Miss Summerson said...

Thanks, everyone! The Baby Einstein DVDs came in today and I'm excited to use them.

Chris, I have a Maya wrap and a Snugli pack but Trotwood really has to be in the mood to be happy in either one.

Shells - I can't believe that
Abby slept for 12 hours during the night! That is amazing. We haven't tried sleeping him on his tummy yet. Right now he absolutely detests tummy time and I'm lucky to get 5-10 minutes a day of tummy time. I don't feel guilty at all about the TV - I just hope he grows up loving to read like we do!

Natalie R. said...

Samuel had major sleep issues until he was about one. The book "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child" totally saved my life. I would definitely recommend it, it will be very helpful and talks about up to three years old or more. :0)

Becki Becki Bo Becki said...

For every mother's sanity, I say whatever works. My kids have loved the front carrier because they can snuggle against my body and sleep.

PS-I miss you!

Miss Summerson said...

Natalie, I have that book and have been reading it! I am hoping to try out some of his methods soon. The author mentions that it's hard to establish regular sleep patterns until the baby is about 3 or 4 months old. Trotwood will be 3 months at the end of this month so I'm hoping we can work on establishing those patterns...we'll see how that goes though.

Thanks, Becki, I miss you too! I'm so glad we have our blogs so we can keep up with each other. Good luck selling your house - I hope you find a new house you like just as much!