Wednesday, March 11, 2009

David Copperfield


Sunday night, Mr. Rochester and I got sucked into the Masterpiece Classics showing of David Copperfield on PBS. We often like to watch PBS Masterpiece classics and normally, PBS shows these types of movies in two-hour blocks on Sunday nights. However, this particular night, PBS was doing fund-raising and showed the ENTIRE show...and Mr. Rochester and I stayed awake until midnight watching all four hours of the movie. And we rarely stay up that late (I know, we're old married folks). I have to say, I absolutely loved this movie and it was definitely worth staying up for. I've never read David Copperfield and the only thing I knew about the book was that it was written by Charles Dickens. I think I cried practically the entire movie but despite my tears, I really did enjoy it. When we started watching it, the little boy that plays David Copperfield looked really familiar. I said to Mr. Rochester, "Wow, that kid looks so much like Harry Potter, he could play Harry Potter's character today!" Come to find out, it was Daniel Radcliffe, the kid who plays Harry Potter. I guess this was one of his first movies. There are several big name British actors in this version of David Copperfield including Maggie Smith and Sir Ian McKellan. You'll even notice another actress from the Harry Potter movies, Imelda Staunton, also known as Dolores Umbridge! Anyway, if you like British movies like this, you may enjoy David Copperfield. We sure did.

3 comments:

Mrs. W said...

Oh how fun! It has some of my favorite actors, I'll have to see if they have it on Netflix. Thanks.

Shells said...

I watched Sense & Sensibility recently (with Emma Thompson) and realized that about 5 or 6 of the actors also starred in Harry Potter.

I've been recenting some of the materpiece classics. I just finished Bleakhouse (loved it, and figured out where Ms. Summerson comes from) and Jane Eyre (Mr. Rochester).

Mrs. Cinnamon said...

That's better than what i was sucked into....I'm a little embarrassed to say....The Next America's Top Model with Tyra Banks! It was my first time to watch and there were a few episodes back to back!!! I don't think I admitted it to anyone at work! :0)