Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Tin Man


Recently, Mr. Rochester and I rented this mini-series from Red Box. We'd heard about it before but I think we'd just forgotten about it until Mr. Rochester saw it at Red Box one day. We were both interested to see this new "take" on the Wizard of Oz. To be honest, I actually liked it. This story is quite different from just the normal story of the Wizard of Oz that most people are familiar with but, of course, it has many parallels to that story. In Tin Man, they never actually use the same names used in the Wizard of Oz the musical. Like, the characters always refer to the Land of Oz as "The O.Z." Mr. Rochester and I thought that probably had something to do with copyright issues. To me, the title of the mini-series was creative but perhaps should have been something different since the series wasn't really all about the Tin Man. Anyway, we enjoyed watching all 4.5 hours of it (and believe it or not, we watched the whole thing in one Friday evening!).

For my birthday last year, Mr. Rochester got me a book that contained all 15 books of the Wizard of Oz. You didn't know there were 15, did you? I didn't either until several years ago. And the Judy Garland musical you grew up watching is only the first one! I haven't been reading the books as faithfully as I'd like to but so far, I have really enjoyed them. They are mainly written for a younger audience. What I don't get is why some movie producer hasn't gone on to create the whole series of the Wizard of Oz movies? Tim Burton, for example, would do a fantastic job with those movies. Again, maybe it all has something to do with copyright issues.

3 comments:

Candy Fam said...

That would be so awesmoe to see a Tim Burton Wizard of Oz. That is one of my favorite movies and Cienna has been watching it non stop for the last few weeks. :)

Desiree said...

that is actually in my Netflix queue. I am glad to hear you like it

Mike said...

I have been looking for that on Red Box too, but haven't seen it. I think it would be a fun flick. I didn't know there were 15, but I did know that Dorothy's story was the first. I might have to add that to the growing list of books I want to pick up.....