Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Test Number TWO

Yesterday I received an email from the Board of Examiners for the Foreign Service and I have been selected to participate in the next step of the Foreign Service Officer selection process, which is the Oral Assessment! Hooray for me! This means that I have to go to Washington, D.C. sometime between May 4 and June 30 to participate in the Oral Assessment. If any of you are curious what all the Oral Assessment entails, you can click here to get a detailed explanation. I think I'm going to have to read this document many more times before actually going to take the test. When I read the email telling me I was okay to go for the Orals, I got really excited and nervous. For one thing, I never thought I would make it this far in the selection process. Another reason, I don't personally know anyone who has actually passed the oral examinations. So to be perfectly honest, I don't expect to pass but I'm going to try. Reading over some of the sample interview scenarios made me a little apprehensive because these questions are really difficult to answer! I'm excited about making a trip to D.C. and want Mr. Rochester to go with me for moral support although I'm not quite sure how we're going to afford the trip but I'm sure we'll figure it out! Anyway, I can register for the Oral Assessment in March so I'll keep you in the loop. If ANYONE has any advice on taking the Orals, I'd love to know it!!

8 comments:

Michelle said...

Congrats girl! That's so exciting! Wish I had some good advice for you...but I sure don't. I'm sure you will do great!

Amber said...

I'm so excited for you! I don't even know anyone who has taken the FSO exams other than you, so I have no advice other than try not to get too nervous :)

Mrs. Cinnamon said...

That is awesome!!! Have you ever been to DC? It's amazing!!! You should try to make sure you are there a couple extra days so you can sight see a little. Oh and rule of thumb....the one's that are usually the most critical of themselves, usually perform the BEST!!!

Becki Becki Bo Becki said...

Wahoo! Way to go Aria. Of course you're going to pass Orals and of course you're this far in the selection process! Did you not know that you were one of the brightest students in the MPA program? Geeze. Give yourself some credit, girl. :)

I wish you the best of luck and am sure you will do stunningly.

Kate said...

You are awesome! You are always welcome to stay with us (we have an extra bedroom, although it is a garish color of pink currently), especially if you want to a. party or b. do a cheaper dc trip! We have friends in the foreign service, including one who just got accepted, so if you have any questions, I'd be happy to send you their info. I'm so excited for you!!!

Mama Bean said...

YEAH!!! You will do so awesome. Like we talked a long time ago. If it was meant to be, it would happen.

Desiree said...

You said that about the first one too and yet you totally rocked it. I know that you will rock this one as well. You could have people that get you birthday presents to just send cash to go towards the trip for both of you. Mike and i did that one year for christmas...actually it was to go to your wedding.

Sylvia said...

Congratulations! I actually have a good friend who is reporting to DC this month for his Foreign Service training. Let me know if you'd like his contact information and I can put you in touch with him.