Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Reminiscing youth dances...

Saturday, Mr. Rochester and I had the opportunity to chaperone a stake youth dance. Okay, I was given the opportunity because of my calling in Young Women and I made Mr. Rochester go with me, but of course, he didn't mind. It was actually fun to attend because we started remembering our experiences at stake dances and how we used to really look forward to attending them when we were in youth. We even remember dancing with each other!

I think attending stake youth activities was really the highlight of my month when I was a kid. It was so fun to get together with other LDS kids that I only got to see every now and then. I loved dancing at the dances, and even though I know I looked ridiculous, I didn't care. It was just fun to be around friends and have a good time. So, on Saturday Mr. Rochester and I just sat back and watched the interaction between all of the teenagers. It was kind of painful to watch a teenage boy wander around for a bit trying to get up the courage to go and tap a young woman on the shoulder and ask her to dance. We were actually surprised to see that on several occasions, guys were turned down. I don't think I ever turned down anyone unless I was on my way to the bathroom or something. Most of the teenagers we saw slow dancing just looked really stiff and awkward but I'm sure I looked just like that when I was their age!

Times haven't changed too much either when it comes to the music played at church dances. Although the songs played at the youth dance we chaperoned on Saturday night were definitely more modern, we still heard the "Cotton Eyed Joe" song twice, witnessed a familiar Electric Slide line dance, and out of necessity, actually participated in a "Snowball" dance. The "Macarena" dance, however, did not make an appearance.

2 comments:

James and Sarah Narramore said...

Oh goodness! That would be pretty fun to chaperone and see how ackward everyone is. ha Good times!

Mike said...

What!?! No Macerana!?! For Shame! It's so much harder to find good music that is clean and is fun to dance to.

I know what you mean about dances...they were definately the highlight of my youth days. I am glad you guys had fun!