Monday, February 16, 2009

O Happy Day!

Every day Mr. Rochester drops me off at work in the mornings and picks me up at 5 pm (we only have one car). Our schedule rarely changes. Well, Friday, he was over 10 minutes late picking me up. I wasn't upset, it was just unusual because he's always picked me up right at 5 although once he did lose track of the time and was late getting me. After I got in the car and chattered on a bit about my day, I started to tease him about forgetting me. Without saying much, he gave me this sheepish look that said to me, "I'm sorry, I was taking a break playing a video game and lost track of the time." I just laughed and said something like, "Wow. I bet you got distracted by cleaning the kitchen!"

When we got home, I noticed that Mr. Rochester obviously had not been spending his time on the kitchen, but I didn't really think about what he had been doing all afternoon that would make him a few minutes late coming to get me. Mainly, I was thinking about getting ready for the Valentine's Day dinner/dance being held at our church building in a few hours. Before I could make it to our bedroom to start getting ready, Mr. Rochester rushed ahead of me, closed the door to our bedroom, and told me I couldn't come in until he told me so. After he few moments, he gave me permission to enter and this is what I saw:

Mr. Rochester had spent ALL afternoon putting up curtains, hanging a bed canopy, and hanging pictures (he rushed ahead of me so he could hide the remnants of his work). Ever since we moved last July we've been talking about getting curtains for our bedroom but we kept putting it off. The windows in our bedroom already had blinds but they looked so bare and our neighbors lights always shone in the windows at night. We'd seen the bed canopy before and talked about how fun it would be to get one of those but again, we never got one. He also picked up some flowers for me from the store along with a candle that smells like fresh cut roses. I was just blown away and absolutely loved what he did to our bedroom!

Later that night, we attended the Valentine's Day dinner/dance and had a really nice time. The people who put it together did a great job! The youth were the waiters and dressed in black pants and white dress shirts. One of the youth was even dressed as a maitre d' in a tux and he showed us to our "reserved" tables when we arrived! I say reserved because when I got to my seat, there was an envelope addressed to me from my husband! All the men had previously written notes to their wives and the notes were preset on the tables. Here we are before going to the dance (don't mind the smirk on Mr. Rochester's face--we were having trouble getting a good picture):

The next day, I spent a few hours making heart-shaped sugar cookies for Mr. Rochester while he was at a service project. Although the sugar cookies were a small token compared to our lovely bedroom, they sure seemed to take as long to make! Mr. Rochester is a huge fan of sugar cookies and appreciated my efforts. Here is a picture of some of the cookies:

All in all, we had a great Valentine's Day weekend!

10 comments:

Michelle said...

Wow! Your bedroom looks awesome! What a sweetie! Your cookies look great too! By the way you look great in your pic!

Danielle said...

Hhhmmm.....all i can say is WOW!! You guys are too too cute!! Mr. Rochester really out did himself! And by the way....you're lookin awesome!

Shells said...

I love your bedroom. Way to go Mr. Rochester!!!!

Mama Bean said...

That is so AWESOME!!! I want to know where you got the canopy and bedspread. I have wanted a canopy like that FOREVER!!!!

Becki Becki Bo Becki said...

When I read your post, I kept saying, "Ooh, cute!" Jeff kept saying, "What? Tell me." But I had to finish the post because it just kept getting cuter. The bedroom is great, the dinner/dance sounded like so much fun, and the cookies to top it off. What fun! Happy V-day!

Miss Summerson said...

Thanks, everyone! I seriously LOVED what he did with the bedroom. Mama Bean, I believe he got the canopy and Bed, Bath, & Beyond. We saw them there a while back and have wanted one ever since! :) The bedspread is a duvet cover and we bought it on overstock.com right after we moved. Hey, I just checked overstock and they still have it! It's the Branches Black Duvet set and it's only $59.99, which is how much we paid for it. I've found a bunch of duvet sets I want to buy on Overstock.

Desiree said...

How great is that!!!!!!! I love it when little suprises like that pop up. He is a great man, Aria.

Amber said...

I can't even deal with how sweet all of this was! The bedroom looks great and the cookies look soooo delicious.

Mrs. W said...

Aww that is so sweet! Love the pictures of everything. Glad you had a nice Valentines day.

Mike said...

Mr R is an amazingly thoughtful guy. That dance sounds great, It would have been nice to go to something like that....our ward didn't do jack for the holiday....