Friday, October 10, 2008

Hallo-weenies

Halloween is one of Mr. Rochester's favorite holidays. I like it too, but he really likes Halloween. Since Mr. Rochester and I have been married, we've tried to start creating our own little family traditions. Around Halloween time we've decided to watch our favorite Halloween movies, especially those scary kid-type movies we liked when we were younger. One of my favorites was Disney's Escape to Witch Mountain made back in 1975. And believe it or not, I actually found (and purchased) this movie on DVD at Best Buy the other day! The movie really has nothing to do with Halloween, it just feels like one of those movies you should watch around Halloween. Other movies we liked as kids that we want to acquire someday include Hocus Pocus, Mr. Boogedy, Bride of Boogedy, & Bedknobs & Broomsticks. I also used to love that series Are You Afraid of the Dark that was shown on Nickelodean in the 90s--I wonder if I watched it today if I would think it was any good...

When we were dating I found out that Mr. Rochester really liked Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas. After we were married, I thought I'd surprise him with the DVD for Christmas one year. Much to my dismay, at the time I tried to purchase this movie, it happened to be one that Disney had locked away in their secret vault of movies. You could buy the DVD online but only from Amazon or Ebay for a ridiculous price. One day I found it on Ebay for only $10 and I thought, "Ooh, what a steal!" So, I quickly purchased the DVD and congratulated myself on having found such a great bargain. Then I waited for it to arrive...and waited...and waited some more. It seemed the DVD was taking an unnaturally long time to get to our home. During this waiting period I found out that I'd purchased the movie from someone in China and they were no longer a seller on Ebay. After learning that, I pretty much gave up on ever seeing the DVD from China. However, much to my surprise, after about 3 weeks the DVD did show up in the mail. Unfortunately, it was a ripped of copy of The Nightmare Before Christmas and the DVD format wouldn't work in our DVD player (although we have recently discovered it will play on our laptop). I have since learned my lesson and become more cautious of who I buy from on Ebay. With the help of a friend, I recently found a legitimate copy of the DVD on Amazon. Ironically, two months after I purchased that DVD, the digitally remastered version of The Nightmare Before Christmas was released from the Disney vault.

Interview update--On Tuesday, I had a second interview for the corporate giving job. I think it went okay and they said I should find out something in the next two weeks. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed and just trying to have faith that if this doesn't work out then something else will!

7 comments:

~*~The Narramore's~*~ said...

Hey! This is Sarah (Lainhart) Narramore. I love reading your blogs and seeing how you guys are doing! How is Arkansas?!?!? :) Are you guys dressing up this year??

Mrs. W said...

Oh you just became even more awesome than you already are! Nobody else I've ever met has ever heard of Mr. Boogedy, and Bride of Boogedy! Me and my siblings grew up watching those and just loved them!
Good job with the interview, we'll keep out fingers crossed for you too!

Candy Fam said...

I am totally with Eddie... Halloween is my absolute favorite time of year. I just love everything about it. Brian thinks I am crazy. :) I am also a huge fan of Nightmare Before Christmas. I just love all those really weird movies. Anyway, I hope everything goes well and you get the job that you want... you totally deserve it! :)

Mike said...

Well Aria my dear, you are in luck. It just so happens that Desiree and I are big Are You Afraid of the Dark? fans and have all 7 (yes 7) seasons from Nick. The first 5 aired in the US and and the last 2 only in Canada (ugh....we haven't watched THOSE episodes) but we will most definately bring them with when we come up to visit.

Oh, and because I was sick and had Cabin Fever, Des bought me the 2 disc collectors edition of the Nightmare Before Christmas....and it has the Digital Copy for Ipods and Computers....I am just saying...

Anonymous said...

Hey Pie Rochester lady, or whatever you call yourself here. I remember those movies!! Wasn't Mr. Boogedy the one that always used to scare me pretty badly? The Witch Mountain ones were awesome, and I always wished that I had their powers... I remember when Mom took me to see the Nightmare Before Christmas as a kid and I thought it was dumb and boring. But, since I've been married I've been re-exposed to it and now love it (as do my children and, of course, wife). We also just bought Corpse Bride for 10 bucks... that's one that came out while I was in Guatemala. Raedin really likes those two movies! I'd suggest that one. The only Are You Afraid of the Dark episode I remember was the I'm Cold one, where the ghost kid had died of the cold or something retarded like that, but it scared me well enough when I first saw it. There was another where the kid got caught in a pinball machine that always freaked me out. Or was that a Tales from the Crypt episode? Do you remember any of those?

Miss Summerson said...

Yeah, I think the Mr. Boogedy movies used to scare you. We just bought the Corpse Bride too! It's awesome -- we love that one. Tim Burton does such a good job with his movies. I do remember watching Tales from the Crypt but I can't remember what any of the episodes were about...same thing with Are you Afraid of the Dark...I just remember really like the latter show.

t said...

So Mr. Rochester and Martha Stewart have something in common! The cable channels run the old "Goosebumps" episodes almost all October. We still love to watch those.