Friday, September 5, 2008

Whistle Dixie

A few weeks ago Mr. Rochester and I visited a Confederate Cemetery. Some of you may think this is kind of weird and that's okay. Maybe a few years ago, I would've thought it was weird but since marrying Mr. Rochester, I've come to better appreciate the "historical-ness" of the South. I remember the summer Mr. Rochester and I started dating, we passed a sign about 2 miles from my parents house that said "Confederate Cemetery." I'd lived in that town for 15 years and passed it every day on the way to and from school. Never once did I seriously consider visiting the Confederate Cemetery just down the street from my house. Of course, while we were dating we visited that cemetery and now that we are back in the South, we visited another one. The one we recently visited is very nicely kempt and it was just a neat experience to visit it. In the middle of the cemetery, there was a huge monumnet dedicated to the soldiers from the surrounding states who died in a nearby battle. Before visiting the cemetery, we went to our town's historical society's ice cream social. It was held at the former Union headquarters for this area during the Civil War. There were actual bullet holes still in the door of the house where the event was held. The volunteers all dressed up in period costumes And we at some yummy southern cake and drank lemonade


7 comments:

Amber said...

That cemetary looks neat! I love old cemetaries! Also, cake and lemonade?! YUM!

Kate said...

Oh no. You are getting sucked in. He would love Richmond--you can go to the Confederate White House. The tour at Tredagar Iron Works (NPS) seemed very confederate to us, so I'm sure the Confed White House, with statues all over of Confed Generals, would be right up his ally. Hmmm. Just remember, you cannot actually call it the War Between the States or Unjust War or any of the other things they teach in the South. :)

Becki Becki Bo Becki said...

Very cool! Anything historical is great, but it's amazing to have it right there in your backyard. Awesome.

Morgan and Audrey said...

Hello! So glad you two got settled in, and it is so cool to see what you guys are up to. Man, I wish we had really cool old stuff here to see too! Glad you're doing well!

Laina said...

Just thought I would let you know that Becky Riley had her baby boy on Tuesday night.

Marcus J. said...

Glad to see he has the professor stance down already.

Natalie, Cameron and Samuel said...

That's so cool! I think the Civil War is so fascinating. Cameron has an interview at Penn State next month, and if he is accepted there we'll live right by Gettysburg!! We'll see what happens...

Speaking of interviews, good luck with all of yours!