Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The Best Lentil Soup EVER!

Italian Lentil and Barley Soup

1 Cup Dried Lentils
1/3 Cup Pearled Barley (sometimes I have a hard time finding this -- it's often in the health food section of the grocery store)
1-2 Cups Carrots, chopped
1-2 Cups Celery, chopped
1 Cup Onion, chopped
2 Cloves Garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. Dried Basil
1/2 tsp. Dried Oregano
1/2 tsp. Dried Thyme
1 Bay Leaf
3 1/2 Cups Broth (I use Better Than Boullion vegetable base)
2 1/2 cups water
14.5 oz. can Italian-Style Diced Tomatoes
1/4 Cup Fresh Parsley, finely chopped (optional)
2 Tbs. Cider Vinegar (optional)
Italian Sausage (I buy the Italian Sausage links that come in packs of five links and then break open the sausage casing and put the chopped up or broken up sausage in the soup--I normally put in most of the links)

Sort and rinse lentils. Add all ingredients to crockpot in order listed (except parsley and vinegar). Cook on Low 12-14 hours or High 5-6 hours. Discard bay leaf and add vinegar and parsley if desired.

I have been looking for a good lentil soup recipe for years and I got this from a neighbor a few months ago. It is absolutely delicious and goes great with homemade bread! If you try making it, I'd love to know what you think.

3 comments:

Mama Bean said...

YEAH, the recipe!!! I will let you know how mine turns out. I will probably make it next week.

Mike said...

That sounds really good, I will have to pass on my meatball soup soon!

~*~The Narramore's~*~ said...

Hey Aria! How are you and the hubby doing?!?! I love getting on here and seeing how you two are doing! :)